Daphne Wayne-Bough is a composite of many women who have inspired her creator. Here are Les Grandes Dames who are all facets of the wonder in a flowery dress that is Daphne.

Wednesday 17 January 2007

AND FINALLY ....

Portrait by Kim Ayres, August 2009

Congratulations. You've found the pot of gold at the end of the Wayne-Bough. Leave me a comment. You're not the first one here - that dubious character won a box of chocolates - but you're very welcome.

My name is Barbara, known to some as Babs, to Polish friends as Basia, and in parts of south London as Dave. Born in the Lanesborough Hotel (really!) in the middle of the last century, I was a "Diplomatic Spouse" for 12 years. Although as you can imagine I was far from diplomatic. I'm not really a widow, but a happy divorcee. I just "killed off" my husband for the fun of it.

I turned my back on the tax-free champagne-guzzling lifestyle of a foreign envoy in 2005 and have been in Brussels ever since. Before that I was (in reverse order) in Ghana, the UK, Poland, the UK again, Nigeria, and 14 years in Paris, where I worked for an American law firm and then the British Embassy, and sadly was never a dancer at the Folies Bergere! I probably danced on a few tables now and then, but never for money. I now work for a non-governmental organisation in Brussels which is involved in helping to shape European labour law (references to Millicent Tendency will strike a chord here).

Daphne was conceived on a train in Poland, as a way of killing the boredom of diplomatic spousitude, and Harold was invented to stop me killing my then spouse. Daphne initially wrote restaurant reviews for the in-house magazine, but went off at tangents so often that her views on life, marriage and table manners became required reading in diplomatic circles. You can read the pieces she wrote in Poland at "Wayne-Boughs' World".

After a number of years in semi-retirement, Daphne has found a new lease of life in Brussels thanks to the joys of blogging. Characters such as Vi Hornblower, Vera Slapp, Bette Noire, Scrumpy and Bert are all fictional but loosely based on one or more real acquaintances. These people all know who they are. Except Bert.

I spend my weekends home-making, cooking, reading, lying on the sofa, watching TV and movies, messing about on Facebook and of course blogging. I enjoy eating out, well eating anywhere to tell you the truth. And the occasional drink - after all those years in Paris I am an amateur of fine wines, but am not averse to a good Belgian beer either, or even the odd gin and tonic or three after a hard week at the office.

I have to travel occasionally with my job, organizing small conferences here and there, which I blog about under cover of touring with the Kurt Nachtnebel Oompah Band, or KNOB. So far I have been to Slovenia, Czech Republic, Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Bulgaria with my organisation. For holidays I prefer the UK or France or exploring my new home Belgium. I have many miles on the clock and am not really interested in long-haul travel any more. Travel broadens the mind, certainly, but also hardens the arteries.

I have been Brussels for over eight years now, the spiritual home I should have headed for 30 years ago. Speaking several languages (French, German, Polish) I love the multilingual nature of this town. People will find ways to communicate across the language barrier, and if that way is called "English", so much the better. But it is great to hear Spanish, Italian, German, Polish, English, French, Dutch, and many other languages spoken on a daily basis, sometimes in the same sentence. My colleagues are almost all multilingual, and it is not uncommon for a conversation to start in English, finish in French, pass through one or two other languages on the way and even stop off for a beer somewhere en route.

My long-term plan was to work in Brussels until retirement, then buy a property somewhere in a warm bit of France, where I (or Daphne) would finally write that novel I have been thinking about for the past thirty years. However, the banks have conspired against me and I may never be allowed to retire. If and when I do, I am now thinking more in terms of a return to Blighty, somewhere like Eastbourne or Worthing, where a lady of a certain age in a flowery dress may sit unmolested on the promenade eating her chips.

In December 2006 I invited a scruffy eco-warrior to Christmas lunch. He is still here. Gorbals McChe (for it is he) is my part-time butler, tech guru and lodger, not my life partner. Although the way things are going, I suspect I will be stuck with him for life. He is not much more fragrant than when I first took him in, but it's handy to have someone to send down to Mr Patel's for that third bottle of wine on a Saturday night.





20 comments:

Dr Maroon said...

I like hard centres, truffles anything really.

Joyce Grenfell, Classic. Superb Lovely.

You're not so slack yourself.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Bravo, Doc, bravo. I salute your indefatigability.

Brian Roberts said...

Yay second to find it!

Ché l'écossais said...

*Sigh*
Third. Waste of time running through the source trying to find an easter egg ( yes, I cheat - it's what techies do ).
Oh well - I hate chocolate anyway.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Brian, good effort. Can't run to a second box of chocs but will give you a mention in the next post.

Che, now put the computer back together again.

Anonymous said...

Je ne suis pas Anglophone ,ni résident Bruxellois et bien évidement ,je suis ("An admirer"
I hope not to be even the last ??)


Je n'ai pas raté la moindre virgule depuis le début!

An admirer

ExAfrica said...

Always late to the party...but I never do leave early.

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Though I am somewhat saddened that this may mean there really aren't any Daphne Wayne-bough types left in the world. Such a pity.

MKWM said...

M'y voilà aussi, mieux vaut tard que jamais... Eh ben, s'il y a quelqu'un d'infatiguable ici, c'est bien toi!

Mr Farty said...

That was easy. Nah, you're alright, I'm not that keen on Belgian chocs, too sickly for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A propos de ces secrets, et sur certains qui m'intriguaient je restai lacunaire sur mes commentaires, et à chaque fois la réponse était partiel voire ironique et même blagueuse ce qui n'étai pas pour me déplaire, et lorsque mes commentaires me semblait saugrenu je n’hésitais pas pour les supprimer et ne pas te froisser !depuis l'histoire des girafes de la voisine je découvre « Scrumpy »? Et je remonte dans le temps « Bert » j’ai réfléchi avant de le mentionner [il devait-être un sacré coquin "entre chien et loup "(A la tombée du jour)??]Pas de réponse ? Mais mon souvenir était que Maestro's cream en avait fait référence à cause de mon franglais ,c'est pour cela que tu ma rebatisé !! son prénom est Il s’appelait !Il s’appelait ..." chut!" Et je ne parle pas du blog d'origine réaménagé (photos disparues)? Mon enquête de Crabtree commence lorsque j'apostrophe Mister Gorilla sur ses origines... Pourtant j'avoue que habité par le doute tu as bien mené ta barque et c'était une excellente ballade Irlandaise. (le N°10 Bourvil sur mon Deezer comme Clin d'Oeil )

Bravo !! Tu es une sacrée Dame

Anonymous said...

« Scrumpy » Le pitbull rastacouère où l'ai-je bien vu ??
Je n'aime pas avoir de défaillance !!
Je recommence depuis le début ...

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I found you! I'm late I know, and a bit bedraggled but it's wild out and Maroon almost ran me off the road on his way out of the driveway. I was also round at Che's accusing you of being him. I even joined facebook to see if you were he.

Delighted to meet you. Now, how 'bout giving me a hand to get these wellies off. Did you say the kettle was on? Good. What a splendid gallery of ladies you have there.

Yep, that's it...one good pull...

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I have to say it, I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be even one small grape in your hair, not even a raisin or a tiny little almond.

You look lovely. How very cool to speak all these languages and to have lived all these places.

This is very exciting indeed to get to meet you propply. If you don't mind though I'll probably not stop calling you Daphne. It's just I'm used to it now, you see, and I distrust change. Change is just so...different and scary.

x

Lynx said...

I knew it was here all along really. I just wanted to let someone else get the choccies, as I'm on a strict diet (beer and burgers, with the occasional durum).

I'm gradually getting to meet the Brussels bloggers; the problem being I am normally only there for 3 nights during the week, and the more sensible bloggers don't go out drinking on a school night!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Well done everybody!

You can call me Babs or Barbara or Dave here but not on Chocs Away please, Dip-Dop has already been a victim of my zap gun.

I don't add much to this site, only when I see another laydee that has something of Daphne about her. The original influences were diplomatic bags I met in Africa, which is the best place for them in my opinion. I'm sure there are a few still in Zim, ExAfrica, and I bet Mugabe will think twice before messing with them.

I loved that image of Sam and Maroon racing each other out of the drive -- you Jocks are so inventive. Che must have been clinging to Maroon's undercarriage.
He isn't me, BTW, he's just the back room boy.

Lynx, sadly you won't be around for our Christmas party on 8th December, but I will stand you a midweek beer for making it through.

Anonymous said...

Me! shot, but not died hurt only mème in bell feet I am always there!

Oliver Gosling said...

I was inclined to the notion that you were a man. No offense meant.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Crabtree, no harm done. But to every man his own Daphne.

"I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king ..." (Elizabeth Ist)

Adam Wide said...

Babs,

Aha !!!

So there you are !

Joy Pickles and are still treading the boards when time allows (though not necessarily together !)

Joy is still in Paris and cavorting with her facteur, whereas I am STILL a millionaire, and currently working between London, Orlando and Dubai - where I am Artistic and Creative Director of a £250,000,000 theme park.

Truth is stranger than fiction !!

Arthur Smith remains a grumpy old man !

Lots of love Clarence Pickles.